Youth Hunting and Conservation Course (YHCC)
Long Point Waterfowl’s YHCC provides the opportunity for youth between the ages of 12-16 to attend a week long camp where they obtain their Ontario Hunter Education, Firearms Certification and the Ontario Wild Turkey Certificate, along with fun filled memories, memberships to numerous organizations, gifts and more. The Youth Hunting and Conservation Course’s activity structure will follow a combined inside and outside classroom approach. Participants of the Youth Hunting and Conservation Course will be taught by mentors during several handson activities. Daily activities will focus on aspects of hunting and firearms training, our hunting heritage and wildlife biology that Youth Hunting and Conservation Course participants will use throughout their lives and can share with their family and friends.
The following is a list of the types of activities and demonstrations that students will be participating in throughout the week:
- Ontario Hunter Education, Firearms certification and the Ontario Wild Turkey Seminar
- Wildlife identification
- Boat tour of some of Long Point’s coastal marshes
- Canada’s waterfowling heritage
- Retriever training
- Field demonstrations on wetland and waterbird conservation and management
- Field presentations on being a waterfowl / wildlife biologist
- Presentations on being a Conservation Officer
- Being a marsh manager and the importance of hunting for conservation
- Taxidermy demonstrations
- Hunting demonstrations (duck / goose calling, decoy placement, etc.)
- Decoy carving demonstration
- Wildlife cooking (and eating)
Click here to obtain a YHCC Application
Every third Sunday in September for the past 3 years, Long Point Waterfowl has hosted a free community event coined “Duck Day”. Duck Day is a fun filled event where both adults and children can come out to learn about local conservation organizations, hunting and angling in the Long Point region, watch raptor and retriever demonstrations, participate in nature hikes and much much more. Make sure to mark this years event on your calendar for September 21, 2014 as it always proves to be a great day out with the family! Click here to view an article about last year’s Duck Day and view pictures from the event.
Lake St. Clair Inaugural Dinner
We are very happy to announce the establishment of the Lake St. Clair Chapter of Long Point Waterfowl. This new volunteer group is comprised of ardent waterfowlers and LPW supporters from both Ontario and Michigan. Members of the Lake St. Clair Chapter are currently planning for their Inaugural Fundraiser Dinner, to be held in Chatham on October 25, 2014.